: Biotechnology combines modern Science with advanced technology in order to enhance the quality of living for all mankind. The United States is one of the best places in the world to study biotechnology thanks to its excellent infrastructure for research, excellent faculty, wonderful universities, large number of biotech companies and excellent job opportunities after graduation.
ADVANTAGES OF PURSUING BIOTECHNOLOGY EDUCATION IN U.S.A:
- The United States is the leading country globally in innovative Science and Technological breakthroughs making it the gateway in to Biotechnology related studies the world over.
- Excellent Research facilities, up to date laboratories and a high class of skilled faculty makes the States one of the best places in the world for Biotechnology related studies.
- The top league Universities and their affiliations to various other reputed Universities and Research institutes all over the world couple education with hands on training, offer students a once in a lifetime opportunity to better their knowledge and become experts in this field.
- U.S.A is a land of cultural diversity housing the best brains from all over the world. This rich diversity coupled with excellent job opportunities enhances the learning phase broadening the horizons.
BEST BIOTECHNOLOGY UNIVERSITIES IN U.S.A:
1. PURDUE UNIVERSITY:
2. UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN, MADISSON:
- Located in West Lafayette at Indianna this University is a top notch Research institute famous for Biotechnology related studies all over the world.
- Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Biotechnology are offered through the Colleges of Science, Technology, Agriculture and Pharmacy.
- The maximum Research activity conducted in the University is solely attributed to the Biotechnology field and its related concentrations with extensive emphasis on Biomaterials, edible vaccines and DNA-based forensic studies.
- The top league Faculty members train the students making them ready to participate in the cutting edge Research activities in U.S.A.
3. JOHN HOPKINS UNIVERSITY:
- This is a world-class Public Research Institute highly reputed for its Biotechnology related studies.
- The education offered not only trains students in technological advancements and research-oriented careers but also in the business and marketing strategies behind this stream of study.
- The Biotechnology Center of this University conducts research in various areas of Molecular Biology and Genetics providing tremendous opportunities to students in the form of workshops and outreach programs.
4. UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND:
- It is a non-profit, Private University dedicated to research located at Baltimore in Maryland.
- It is a top ranked University for Science and Technology with extensive research conducted world-wide.
- The Center for Biotechnology Education at John Hopkins offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in the various concentrations of Biotechnology with skilled Faculty members emphasizing on the practical aspects of the education meted out.
- Through its International Partnerships and up to date facilities this University offers in-depth opportunities in the field of Biotechnology.
- The main campus of this huge, Research-oriented, Public University is situated at Kingston with other campuses including the Feinstein Campus in Providence, Narragansett Bay Campus in Narragansett and W. Alton Jones Campus in West Greenwich.
- The Biotechnology programs offered by this University trains students in the various areas shaping them to be a part of top research institutes and medical industries.
- Research is concentrated on Molecular Biology, Stem Cell Biotechnology and Bio-processing offering various opportunities in the real world laboratories.
- Exchange programs and excellent Research facilities coupled with top notch faculty members makes this University an ideal choice for students who wish to pursue a career in Biotechnology related fields.
U.S.A not only offers quality education in this field but also ample job opportunities, making it an attractive option for Biotechnology related education.
- Postgraduate studies in Biotechnology can be pursued in various sectors of the field including genetics, microbiology, therapeutic sciences, pharmaceutical sciences, drug discovery, agricultural sciences, animal science. The number of choices are very high.
- There are specializations available at the Master's and Doctorate levels.
- Master's degrees are two year programs with intensive coursework along with practical hands on training on the various techniques used by biotechnologist working in the industry, followed by examinations, thesis preparation and its oral defense.
- Doctorate degrees usually take up to 4-6 years to complete with rigorous coursework in the first two years followed by research in the remaining years. For completion of the course a thesis has to be prepared and defended through oral examinations.
- Biotechnology is a research oriented field and postgraduate studies places the students at a better position to excel in this area through their exposure to research.
- The job opportunities are abundant and the choices are even more after completing a Master's or a PhD with high starting salaries.
- Postgraduate studies offer the students a choice of specialization in their area of interest allowing specified training and education to meet the challenges in that particular area of Biotechnology.
- Postgraduate education generally emphasizes on the practical aspects of teaching allowing the students to gain hands on experience which is necessary for an excellent career in the industry.
- Many opportunities are available during the course of a postgraduate education through global tie-ups and student exchange programs that places the students in different scenarios in their chosen area, allowing them to understand real world research in their field of interest.
- Postgraduate education also helps by placing students at the heart of current research work, allowing them access to innovative technology to give them an opportunity to discover their area of focus, allowing them the choice to concentrate on that.
- Funding is available for most of the postgraduate programs as long as you are an excellent student with high grades, an excellent profile. So even if you do not have the finances for a postgraduate degree, if you are one of the best chances of admission with aid are very high.
- Pursuing postgraduate education in a different country introduces students to newer lifestyles and different cultures broadening their thought frame.