Last Updated: May 02, 2021
Top Illustrations Colleges in USA
the field of illustration is one of the most up-and-coming career paths, as well as a popular area of study. As more and more people are appreciating art and the complexities of it, more art is being incorporated into daily lives. Illustrations have found a way out of the high ceilings of museums and art galleries and can be found in several media platforms - such websites, blogs, social media, newspapers, and many more.
With several Illustrations colleges making a name for themselves in the country, it often becomes difficult to choose the best. Students are constantly looking for the top illustration colleges in the US, and the informative list below will help them understand what the top colleges have to offer to all the students, allowing them to make a wise choice and choose the college that best suits their personal needs and preferences.
Top Universities for Illustrations
Syracuse University, New York
- Located in Syracuse, New York, it boasts more than 20,000 students and is one of the best illustration colleges in the country. With a less than 50 percent acceptance rate, it has set its standards extremely high and took in only the best students. One can expect to get a top-notch education in the field of illustrations and drawing which will help the individual achieve his goals in the future.
- Syracuse offers a bachelor's and a master's degree in Illustrations. The undergraduate degree is a B.F.A. degree that includes the study of digital, traditional, and alternate forms of art. As for a master's degree, Syracuse offers an M.F.A. degree that focuses more on visiting museums and art galleries, to learn directly from art forms, and create unique pieces.
- The entry requirements for the B.F.A degree includes submitting a profile with ten to twelve of the most recent artworks created by the potential student. Additionally, it is mandatory for students to submit one of the following - a statement of purpose, or tell a story about one of the pieces in the portfolio that the student is most passionate about, or an artist statement.
- The annual tuition fee for the B.F.A. degree is $50,700
- The entry requirements for the M.F.A program includes submitting a profile with ten to twelve of the most recent artworks created by the potential student. Every piece of the portfolio must have a title, date of creation, media, and dimensions. Additionally, students must submit three letters of recommendation, an artist statement, a personal statement, a CV, and the application form & fee.
- The annual tuition fee for the M.F.A. degree is $30,300.
Yale University, New Haven
- Offering a very selective program in illustrations and drawing, a few years back Yale University was awarded one of the top art schools and continues to be so today.
- The Yale School of Arts offers a B.A. (Bachelors in Arts) degree with art as the major subject. It also offers an M.F.A. (Masters in Fine Arts) in various disciplines which include painting, photography, and graphic designing to name some, as a graduate degree.
- Entry requirements for a B.A. degree are a little different than usual. Students wanting to attend the Yale School of art as undergrad students must pre-register and attend five introductory courses. Additionally, they must be in a Sophomore Review, where their artworks will be reviews.
- The annual tuition fee for the B.A. program has not been disclosed yet.
- The entry requirements for the M.F.A degree include submission of two to three reference letters and completion of the online application form.
- The annual fees for the M.F.A. degree are $43,000.
Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), Providence
- Considered to be one of the best colleges in recent times, RISD is renowned for its amazing drawing and painting programs offered to its students.
- It offers a B.F.A. (Bachelor of Fine Arts) for students pursuing the illustrations program and allows them to work with computer-generated, sketched, and painted images. Students also get a chance to develop a professional portfolio of their own, giving them an edge in their respective professions.
- The entry requirements for the B.F.A. degree include academic transcripts, a college essay, up to two recommendation letters, and a portfolio. The portfolio must include ten to twelve of the most recent artworks created by the potential student. All the mentioned documents must be submitted through the 'Common Application' on the RISD website.
- The annual tuition fees for the B.F.A degree is $55,300.
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh
- This college offers a B.F.A. curriculum that allows the students to choose a field out of photography, painting, printmaking, and drawing which integrates both electronic and manual tools. Underclassmen are provided with shared drawing studios that are well-equipped and ready to use. M.F.A. students are, however, given private and shared studio areas. The university encourages off-campus internships and partnerships to allow the student to get a first-hand experience of the career any student is about to work in.
- The entry requirements for the B.F.A. degree include academic transcripts, a college essay, up to two recommendation letters, a portfolio, and the Carnegie Mellon Common Application Writing Supplement. The portfolio must be submitted through the 'SlideRoom' services, only. Except for the portfolio, all the mentioned documents must be submitted through the 'Common Application' on the university website.
- The annual fees for the B.F.A. degree are $57,500.
- The entry requirements for the M.F.A. degree include Official transcripts, Artist’s Statement, Statement of Interest, three letters of reference, a CV, and a portfolio. The portfolio must include ten to twenty-five of the most recent artworks created by the potential student, and they must be submitted through 'SlideRoom'.
- The annual tuition fee for the M.F.A. program is $35,300.
University of Texas, Austin
- The bachelor's degree programs offered by this renowned university require the student to study across seven media fields which include photography, printmaking, transmedia, drawing, and painting or digital art. An M.F.A. illustration student needs to focus on any of these fields. Dedicated studio spaces are assigned to all M.F.A. students and offer in-depth knowledge to them about the subject of their choice.
- The entry requirements for the B.F.A degree includes the submission of a portfolio. The portfolio must include 12 of the best creations of the student, over several media platforms. The student must have two pieces made from observations. Additionally, every piece must have a title and a small description.
- The annual tuition fee for the B.F.A degree is $11,000.
- The entry requirements for the M.F.A. degree include submission of the online application and application fee, official transcripts, Statement of Purpose, three letters of recommendations, a CV, and a portfolio. The portfolio must be submitted through 'SlideRoom'.
- The annual fee of the M.F.A. degree program is $14,000.
These are just some of the best colleges in the USA. These tops illustrations college USA will help students learn illustration and hone their skills; while also helping them to explore more career options.